Corporate Social Responsibility
From community initiatives to support our friends & neighbors, to limiting our carbon footprint and fostering entrepreneurship and philanthropic efforts in Africa, Kalahari Resorts & Conventions believes that doing the right thing is essential to a successful business model.
Our resorts support the missions of hundreds of local and national organizations each year through in-kind donations and events. We partner with organizations that share our mission to improve the lives of those living in the communities served by our resorts – Wisconsin Dells, WI, Sandusky, OH, Pocono Mountains, PA and Round Rock, TX.
Here are a few examples of our community initiatives:
- Kalahari Field at the Huron Memorial Stadium in Ohio
- Andy North & Friends in Support of UW Cancer Carbone Center
- Golf for a Future in Support of the Wisconsin Dells Education Foundation
- Project SEARCH participant: One-year transition program that provides on the job training and education for individuals with disabilities. The program assists young adults with disabilities in making a successful transition to competitive employment and independence.
Kalahari Resorts and Convention Centers aims to reduce our carbon footprint and leads the hotel industry in energy conservation. Here are a few examples of our progress:
- Each guest room features low-flow showerheads, reducing water consumption by 2.5 million gallons per year.
- Ozone laundry system allows for colder water wash.
- High-efficiency water consumption pumps in the waterpark for extended life cycle
- Low-flow dishwasher spray heads for energy efficient cleaning
- The Wisconsin Dells resort features more than 4,160 square feet of rooftop solar panels. The panels work in conjunction with four 500-gallon storage tanks to assist with hot water needs. These roof top solar panels contribute to more than 30% of the resort’s hot water.
- Kalahari has partnered with Clean The World, the largest global recycler of hotel amenities, to collect and recycle resort soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions and gels. To date, Kalahari Resort’s has diverted 77,000 pounds of soap and bottled amenities from landfills and contributed to more than 60,000 hygiene kits.
- Resort-wide receptacles are available for refuse recycling
- High post consumer / recycled paper products are used throughout the resort
- Cardboard boxes used to ship products and supplies are baled and recycled. The WI Dells Kalahari has recycled over 1100 tons of cardboard to date.
- Use of eco-friendly CFL & LED Lighting in interior and exterior fixtures
- Motion sensor lights in public areas to maximize lighting efficiencies
- Digital thermostats installed in guest rooms for advanced temperature control
- Fan installation in waterpark for reduced heating costs and a minimized Kalahari carbon footprint
For the Love of Africa
From custom-crafted artwork on the convention center walls to furniture in guest rooms, recorded music from the streets of Cape Town and original crafts for guest souvenirs, Kalahari has a passion for sharing the beauty of Africa with resort guests. Kalahari Resorts and Conventions is committed to giving back to the people, places and cultures that inspire us through fostering entrepreneurship and collaborating with a variety of business and philanthropic partners.
Kalahari Art Partners
The Nelson family, owners and operators of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, travel throughout Africa creating inspired partnerships. Every African sourced product shares a story of entrepreneurship woven into every stitch, carved into every curve and thread on with every bead.
- Investment of more than $5.5 million to support local artists and craftsmen through purchase of African art, textiles and more showcased throughout the resorts.
- Sponsor of the Mandela Poster Project – a celebration of the life of Nelson Mandela created by nearly 100 artists from across the world. Kalahari sponsored the North American debut of the art exhibition in 2015.
- Designing the Future of Africa – In 2019, Kalahari Resorts & Conventions is partnering with Ithateng Mokgoro of Gamatong Foundation to sponsor a design competition and exhibition with a call for African artists and designers to interpret and illustrate the beauty of Africa today and tomorrow. Winning designs will be featured in the resorts.
Kalahari Health & Education Partners
Kalahari Resorts works with trusted partners to support health and education initiatives that will make a lasting and meaningful impact to improve the lives of people in Africa.
- Kalahari partners with international organizations providing education, economic development and cultural exchange opportunities for Africa’s youth. Each of our resort locations hosts recent college graduates for a year-long work and cultural exchange program. Students gain practical hospitality education, skills and work experience as they work in a variety of positions during their time at the resorts, benefiting both their personal career development and Africa’s tourism and hospitality industry. An important part of the program is cultural exchange and appreciation, as these students share their cultures with Kalahari associates and guests who do the same in return.
- Proud donors to Nelson Mandela Children’s Hospital, a specialized pediatric facility that provides surgeries and critical care to the children of South Africa. Kalahari also contributed to production of “Be Like Madiba” journals for the hospital’s patients.
- Contributor to Clean The World – the largest global recycler of hotel amenities to provide sterilized hygiene kits around the world. To date, Kalahari has diverted more than 43,000 pounds of plastic from landfills and contributed to more than 33,000 hygiene kits.
- A partnership with charity: water allow us to help provide access to clean water for communities in need (2019)